Social Media and E-Safety
As technology has evolved we now have online lives that can be accessible to anyone, anywhere, and at anytime. Here are a few ways you can strengthen the security of the private information that you send into the virtual world.
General Digital Safety Tips
- Treat your electronic devices like you do your passport (or better). Do not leave them unattended and password protect them!
- Microsoft will never call you about a virus they have detected on your computer.
- Use an anti-virus program on your computer, laptop, phone, tablet and gaming device and scan your devices regularly.
- Change your passwords often – including on your smart home devices. There are password manager applications that might be useful in helping you to create more secure passwords.
- Scan for spyware if you have any concerns that your device is compromised. Some possibilities are: https://www.superantispyware.com, https://www.safer-networking.org and https://www.malwarebytes.com/products. For more information on this see our Cyber-stalking safety tips.
- Turn off your geo-locator when you are not using it.