Taxi / Bank Card Fraud
Toronto Police have issued warnings about an ongoing scam targeting good Samaritans. The scam involves two suspects – one who acts like a taxi driver and another who acts like a customer.
- The taxi driver refuses to accept a cash payment from the “customer” and the customer then flags down passersby asking for their help
- The Victims are asked to use their debit cards to pay for the fare in exchange for the cash, which is given to the victim at the time
- When the victim uses their debit card in the debit machine handed to them by the taxi driver, the scammers obtain the person’s PIN as they punch it in
- The victim is then distracted by the “customer” and the driver switches the debit cards — keeping the victim’s card and giving them a different one back.
- The stolen debit card is then used to withdraw money.