Lottery and Award Scams
Lottery Scam 1
- A scammers contacts their Victim to tell them that they’ve won, or have a chance at winning, a prize or lottery.
- This communication occurs through:
- Social media
- Website pop-ups
- If the Victim responds, the scammer will tell them that before receiving any winnings, they must pay an advance fee or buy something.
- The scammer may request payment through a money service business such as Western Union or Money Gram, or request that you provide prepaid gift cards or Bitcoin.
- No winnings are ever received.
There are many variations on the prize scam.